VIXEN A70Lf 70mm f13 Mobile Porta Mount Achro Refractor AZ Telescope
Ideal for casual watching the skies or the ground, the Vixen Optics A70Lf 70mm f/13 Achro Refractor AZ Telescope with Mobile Porta Mount combines a competent optical tube assembly with a highly portable mount and an array of accessories to give you all you need to get out and start observing right away.
An ideal telescope for grab and go observing.
The A70Lf refractor is a basic all-around telescope that gives beginners intriguing views of lunar creaters and Saturn’s rings.
“The glass is well coated and good quality.
The views are sharp with little false color on objects like the Moon. Saturn was sharp & you can make out the rings and one of its moons. Excellent performance and it is worth the price.
Vixen makes a great scope and this scope would make a great first scope for the beginner or additional scope for the serious Amateur Astronomer.”
The 70mm telescope features a refractor-style light path with an achromatic lens design to transmit accurate colors without fringing or distortion at the edges. Anti-reflection multi-coatings further improve color while boosting contrast and clarity. Two eyepieces offer low and high magnifications, the included Barlow lens doubles the power of each eyepiece to give you four magnifications using just two oculars. A 90° erect-image diagonal corrects the view to allow comfortable use on terrestrial subjects so you can use the telescope as a conventional spotting scope.
Supporting the telescope is Vixen’s Mobile Porta mount with an adjustable-height aluminum tripod. Designed for portability and ease-of-use, this manual alt-azimuth mount has a friction control system that allows you to move it by hand without the need to fumble with clutches or locks, and stays in place when you release it. Dual axis slow motion handles let you fine-tune the scope placement once you get close to your subject. The two-stage tripod adjusts from 28-51″ to accommodate a wide variety of users and viewing positions.
Vixen Telescope MOBILE PORTA A70Lf Description
Simple and intuitive operation by friction stop motion.
The MOBILE PORTA has the same function as the PORTA II and you can swing the telescope by hand in the vertical and horizontal directions freely and stop with simple friction.
With Vixen’s renowned dovetail-plate system, different optical tubes can be easily attached. The mount holds optical tubes weighing up to 3.5 kg.
The accessory tray is convenient in putting small pieces such as eyepieces. It is useful when observing at night.
Slow motion control handles
The slow motion control handles of the MOBILE PORTA allow for operating the mount in the whole-circle of the vertical and horizontal movements. It is helpful as used together with the friction stop mechanism when observing at high magnification. The position of the slow motion control handles can be changed if needed.
The direction of the multi-arm can be rotated in 15 degree intervals so that you can avoid interfering with the slow motion control handle or the optical tube. In addition, the vertical slow motion control handle can be moved outward, in the horizontal direction, to avoid interference with the horizontal slow motion control handle.
Foldable mount head
The mount head of the MOBILE PORTA can be folded for convenient strage or transport. The mount head is detachable from the tripod. The tube and Tripod Bag 100, sold separately, is the perfect bag for storage and transport of your MOBILE PORTA. An optical tube cannot be put together in the bag.
Optical Tube Assembly
- 70mm (2.8″) aperture is ideal for lunar and planetary viewing, as well as terrestrial objects
- 900mm focal length produces a moderate magnification potential
- Achromatic refractor design requires little maintenance or collimation
- Achromatic lens design limits color fringing and distortion, especially at the edges, for sharper and clearer views with accurate color representation
- Multi-coated optics maximize light transmission and improve color rendition and contrast
- Solid rack-and-pinion focuser with 1.25″ eyepiece holder to accept the most common size of accessories
- Integrated dew/sun shield
- Tube ring set with Vixen-style dovetail plate
- Weight: 4.2 pounds
Mount and Tripod
- Vixen-style dovetail saddle
- Manual alt-azimuth design
- Dual axis slow-motion handles enable precise adjustment to center subjects
- Friction control system allows the mount to be moved by hand to any position without locks or clutches to worry about
- 360° rotation horizontal wheel gear
- Includes tool kit to adjust friction system based on OTA and accessories being used
- Recommended for optical tube assemblies (OTAs) of 119mm (4.6″) and smaller
- 8-pound payload capacity
- Aluminum legs are lightweight and durable
- Compact 2-stage legs
- Adjustable height from 28-51″ (71.1-129.5cm) accommodates a wide variety of users and viewing positions
- Center tray adds stability while offering a place for eyepieces, filters, and other accessories
- 1.25″ barrel fits most popular accessories
- Accepts most 1.25″ astronomical eyepiece filters
- 20mm produces a low 45x power
- 6.3mm yields a high 143x magnification
- 1.25″ nosepiece and holder
- Doubles the magnification of any eyepiece inserted into it
- Magnifies without affecting eye relief to make viewing at high power more comfortable
- 1.25″ nosepiece and holder
- 90° angle places user’s head in a comfortable viewing position, especially when the scope is aimed high overhead
- Integrated erecting prism corrects view horizontally and vertically, allowing the scope to be used as a conventional terrestrial spotting scope
- Low 6x magnification produces a generous 5° field of view to make star-hopping navigation fast and easy
- 24mm objective maintains a low profile
- Mounting bracket included
Vixen Optics A70Lf Specs
|Optical Design||Achromatic Refractor|
|Aperture||70 mm / 2.8″|
|Focal Length||900 mm|
|Eyepiece Barrel Diameter||1.25″|
|Optical Tube Dimensions||33.9 x 3″ / 860 x 76 mm|
|Payload Capacity||8 lb / 3.6 kg|
|Tripod Height Adjustment Range||28.0 to 51.0″ / 71.1 to 129.5 cm|
|Material of Tripod||Aluminum|
|Weight||4.2 lb / 1.9 kg (OTA)
8 lb / 3.6 kg (Mount/Tripod)
|Package Weight||16.55 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||39.5 x 19 x 9″|